Clean Beauty is something we all beauty enthusiasts are fascinated by. But not many of us know what it actually means. In this technically advanced world, it is tough to find completely natural things.
Thanks to the beauty world that beauty is taking quite a holistic approach these days. But when we think of clean beauty, we tend to realise that the products found in the market have a medicinal feel, or they are luxurious or fancy. However, that is not always the case.
Clean beauty today has grown a lot and has kept its consumer preferences in mind. In this article, we will share with you everything about clean beauty, which will definitely change your concept of clean beauty.
What Is Clean Beauty?
The concept of Clean Beauty might sound quite simple, but it is actually quite intense. It means using safe products to get clean skin. It, basically, means using non-toxic products that are formulated with all-natural ingredients and do not have a long list of ingredients with potential side effects.
There have not been any amendments to the beauty industry. It was 1938 when any changes were made, which basically means that the companies are free to experiment with whatever ingredients they like.
Therefore, the concept of clean beauty is quite new and, therefore, scary. However, many beauty brands are going down the clean road, and they are formulating products that are free from chemicals, parabens, and all sorts of harmful ingredients.
Clean beauty is all about long-lasting effects and sustainability. Finding products that are luxurious yet clean is hard to find. However, once you try them, you wouldn’t want to replace them in any way. You can find some beauty blogs that share product reviews on diverse beauty products that include clean beauty ones as well.
Even though clean and natural mean the same thing, they are quite different. Clean can either be synthetic or natural. However, clean products are those who are easily accepted and processed by the body. So, clean beauty products are safe for use even for sensitive skin, and they are not meant to cause any disease, hormonal imbalances, disruptions, or irritation.
Benefits of Using Clean Beauty Products
Now that we have learned what clean beauty is, let us now see some of the benefits of using clean beauty products.
• The first and foremost would be that there is no fragrance. The fragrance is particularly irritating to sensitive skin. Most beauty brands do not provide a whole list of the harmful ingredients but club them together under fragrance. The use of fragrance is good enough to understand that it is not clean and can have massive side effects.
• Clean beauty products do not contain ingredients that harm the hormonal balances. These ingredients are known as endocrine disrupters, and as the name suggests, they mess with your endocrine system harming your metabolism, reproductive processes and can also mess with your mood. These problems are pretty dangerous, and they are barely noticeable at first. So clean beauty products are formulated with such ingredients that they do not mean any harm to your body and skin.
• Clean beauty products do not include ingredients that can cause cancer popularly known as carcinogens. Most makeup, skincare, and body care products include carcinogens such as formaldehyde as a preservative to increase the shelf life of the product. Using these products in the long can be highly dangerous.
• These clean beauty products do not contain parabens, which are another preservative used in most products to prevent bacteria growth and keep them fresh for long. These chemicals are known to mimic estrogens, and studies have found that they can cause a potential risk of cancer and also reproductive issues.
• Clean beauty products also do not contain Sodium Lauryl Sulphate popularly known as SLS, as this is considered to be a major skin irritant. Studies have shown that it can also contribute to cancer, but there is not enough evidence for this. However, SLS is used in products to produce larger, which gives you the squeaky-clean feeling. But this is a major ingredient to stay away from as it is potentially dangerous to aquatic life as well.
Tips for Switching to Clean Beauty
If you are considering a swap in your regular and beauty routine, then we are here to provide you with all the help and support you need. Here are some of the tips to consider before you actually make the switch.
• Educate yourself before switching to clean beauty products. Do not buy products the ingredient list of which you cannot pronounce. Go for simpler and plant-based ingredients, completely organic. Also, look for products with lesser ingredients and also which are oil-based because they will not have any preservatives.
• Many apps can provide you with the toxicity count if any product and can also tell you the ingredients to avoid. Screen your products and firm a proper understanding of the ingredients to avoid before you actually make the switch. The ingredients mentioned on the top of the ingredient list is more potent than the ingredients which are lower on the last. So, the label might contain the name of any herb or plant, but it may be mentioned at the very bottom of the ingredients list. So, it is advisable not to buy it as the product is entirely chemically derived, and the organic ingredient is just for namesake.
• Do not buy anything with fragrance. As discussed earlier, the fragrance does not only mean the smell or color of the product, but it also has a hidden meaning of too many chemicals being used in the product. Some of these ingredients are potentially dangerous and can also disrupt your hormones. So, do not be deceived if the name on the label reads 100% organic.
• Most of the plant-based ingredients are often mentioned by their scientific names. They also often write in italics. So, look for these names to make sure that your product is derived from organic sources and is not synthetic.
• Try buying you clean beauty products form boutiques or websites which deal with completely clean products. Because most pharmacies and drug stores do sell chemically loaded products rather than being completely clean.
• Be experimental and choose natural ingredients according to your skin needs and concerns. Select products with aloe vera, essential oils, shea butter, virgin coconut oil, and many more. These will not only moisturize and hydrate your skin but will also keep your skin healthy in the long run.
Toxic Ingredients to Avoid
Since the understanding of the ingredients is a crucial step in switching to clean beauty. Here is a list of toxic ingredients that you should avoid before you buy a product.
• Ethylene Oxide
• Synthetic Colours
• Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS)
• Propylene Glycol
How Does Clean Beauty Help the Environment?
Clean beauty products become clean, considering two main factors, the ingredients list, and the packaging.
Clean beauty strives to use sustainable and recyclable products, which reduces the environmental impact. These products not only use biodegradable products that promote healthy soil but also use an eco-friendly manufacturing process that does not pollute our lands and waterways.
These tiny gestures can also contribute a lot in saving the environment, and you can use beauty products that are not only safe for you but also for the Earth.
Clean beauty is not a movement but a feeling. If you want to stay healthy and feel beautiful for a long time, then you should definitely go down this road. It is all about the lifestyle habits and the little changes you make in your daily routine that can contribute to saving the Earth every single day.